Thursday, June 01, 2006

Adam's Garden


When my husband died, it was a month before his 33rd birthday. On the weekend of his birthday, I invited some friends to come and clean up the yarn and plant some flowers for him. We'd had the yard fenced in and planting the garden was our next project in line. Word spread, and my AMAZING friends and family began dropping by with plants a week before. I created an e-vite with a list of things we could use in the yard. What started out as a thought for a dozen or so people to come and help ended up with more than 50 people, and several hundred plants. The photo above is of the fenced yard, before planting.

I am fortunate enough to work with some amazing horticulturists and arborists, and they came and they worked... so hard. Trees were removed, the yard was transformed.
Here are some photos of Adam's Garden.


hugging a friend



hard at work


tulip in March. I brought this one back from the UK



lenten rose




lilac and Adam's favorite- the crabapples, in bloom, May 2006



lilacs in bloom




crabapples in bloom- these were Adam's favorite, and we scattered some of his ashes under them at the end of the evening.
The garden is amazing, so beautiful. But not as beautiful as my friends, who have amazed me with their kindness and generosity.

3 Comments:

Blogger soapy said...

thats so very sweet!

7:07 AM  
Blogger Counsel said...

What a beautiful and therapeutic place. There's always something good you can derive out of, or do with, a garden.

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adam's garden is beautiful. I hope you find peace there.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home