Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Sentencing

Well, it's done. I went to the courthouse with my family, including Adam's dad, who flew in from the UK, and R, who was one of Adam's closest friends. We went into the courtroom and after a couple of wife beaters and rapists came through and pled whatever and postponed their dates, our case was called. I didn't expect them to read the accident report. I didn't expect to have to hear that. I didn't ever want to hear those particular details again, but they read it, which made me lose my composure. My father in law, John and I went up, and I read a statement from Ad's sister, then John read his statement, and I read mine. She pled guilty and made a statement that she was very sorry. The thing is, telling me you're sorry in court, while waiting for your sentence is a little like when, as a child, you're forced to apologize to a sibling, or face sitting in time out on the stairs or something. You know what I mean? Too little, too late, lady. And I think I made that clear. She lost her license for good and was given a $500 fine to charity, which is total bullshit. I mean, I didn't expect them to put the old lady in jail, but she's not poor, and I think $5K would have been a better start. But there wasn't anything I could do on that score. I tried, but I failed. I also made peace with things. As much as I could. And so that chapter is closed.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were able to make peace with things but, damn, you're right. $500?! Geesh.

But, peace aside and all that...karma's a bitch, rich old lady, karma's a bitch....

11:13 AM  
Blogger Bertha said...

$500? I don't want to swear on your post, but seriously, what the fuck.

I am glad you this chapter in your life is over, as much as it can ever really be. xo

12:29 PM  
Blogger Dame Wendy said...

I don't have adequate words, just know I send my love. Huge hugs my friend.

2:43 PM  
Blogger dancingnic said...

It's just not right Annie. It's just not right. Keep strong.

Nic x

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very glad that you made peace. $500.00 is insulting.

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! That is really too little and definitely too late. The loss of her license is nothing compared to your loss. I'm so sorry.

2:05 AM  
Blogger Nell said...

It doesn't help you, but at least she's not driving.

I'm sending you my love Annie.

{hugs}

Nell x

5:38 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Only $500? That is ridiculous. here you get fined $300 if your dog poops and you don't clean it up. I'm so sorry for all of this, Annie.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

If she has even a shred of decency in her, she really is sorry, regardless of the amount. If she's hard-hearted enough to not regret what happened with every fiber of her being, there's nothing that can be done about it.

That said... $500? Ugh. I'm so sorry. I'm sorry you had to listen to that report, I'm sorry the sentence was that low, but I'm glad that part is over. And I agree with emily: karma will always get you in the end. Always.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Peace is a good thing...I am so sorry that you had to go through it all over...my prayers are with you.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Everyone else has said what I'm thinking. *hugs*

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home