Friday, July 21, 2006

Annie thinks that people who speak of themselves in the third person...

are insane. The whole lot of them. It makes me CRAZY. I broke up with someone once because of it. (I broke up with 2 different people because they told me they only voted republican for financial reasons, but that is another story for another day...)

And for some reason it's been popping up a lot lately, this business of people referring to themselves by their first names. What the fuck? Seriously? Who the hell does that?? Crazy people, and I don't mean "Oh, she's so crazy!" I mean, "Bitch is crazy." You know the difference.

So if you've got Dissociative Itentity Disorder, fair enough. Talk about your other self all you like, I can completely understand that.

If you are not suffering from a potential iatrogenic pathology disorder, then please, for the love of GOD, stick with me, myself, and I.

The collective "we" is, however, totally fine. I often use the collective "we"
for dramatic effect. Here is an example:

I was knitting with colinette ribbon yarn and that stuff, whilst lovely, is so slippery, that when I dropped a couple of stitches they immediately unravelled to the cast on edge, and I was nearly done with the shawl!! We are not amused.

That is a true story. Control your horror, we know how you feel.

If, however, you are actually a member of the royal family, then I do not think you should use the collective, aka "royal" we. It's just rubbing our faces in it.



Thank you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous TEK Staa said...

yes totally. the worst thing is when parents talk about themselves in the 3rd person to their kids. Nearly gave me diabetes last time I heard it.

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home