Thursday, August 03, 2006

Arrest

The State trooper who investigated my husband's accident just called me. Althought the processing for the warrant
started months ago, he wanted me to know that yesterday an official warrant was issued for the arrest of the nearly 90 year old woman who killed my husband, and today she turned herself in.

Her hearing will be next week sometime (I don't need to be there), and she may be fined or given community service, but the most important thing is that she has lost her liscense for good.

She was charged with Vehicular manslaughter and failure to give way.

I don't mind that she isn't doing jail time. What I do mind is that she has never apologized to me, or to any member of our family. If you ran over someone's PET you'd apologize, wouldn't you? The legal business is done. Admitting she was wrong isn't going to hurt her legally. It's all done. And it infuriates me that this woman has never apologized.

I am normally not a vindictive person. But I watch, and wait for her to die. And I'll be at her funeral. And I hope they ask people to speak...

7 Comments:

Blogger soapy said...

hey this could be a good thing... They at some point mayhave hearing where the victim (you) can be present and she gives a public apology? Have you spoke to the prosecuter for her case yet?
Hey I can't find you No that you gave me and I was going to call you

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I ask how the accident happened? It took them months to start the processing for her warrant?

The most important thing here is that she lost her license for good and will not kill anyone else. And shame on her family for not taking her keys years ago. AND for not apologizing to you, Adam's family, etc. or making some type of apologetic gesture.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

She took a left hand turn straight into him on a two lane road. She said she saw him, but thought she had plenty of time to turn. The hospital made some errors, and that was that...

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if her conscience was getting the better of her, for her to turn herself in.

I would want an apology, too.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Tiffany,
I think that it wasn't anything like that- she knew that the warrant was issued, that it would be. They'd notified me months ago that she'd be charged with vehicular manslaughter and failure to yield, there were a few other charges they weren't sure about. In the end, I think those were the two main ones. So I think she just turned herself in when it happened, rather than having police come and cuff her or something.

I am really NOT that angry with her, it WAS an accident. It's the lack of apology that makes me see red.

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Annie ~ Over the weekend outside of Cleveland, an elderly driver killed a family of four (mother, father, 5yr. old son and 8 yr. old son). They are investigating now to see if the driver's age played a part. Also, ex-Senator John Glenn (age 85) got into an accident (he didn't see the car and pulled in front of it) over the weekend. He did not kill anyone. All of this was the top story in the news this evening and they had a statement from a State Representative who said that elderly driving is something that will be given more attention to in the future. I thought of you and I plan to write him tonight to let him know that he definitely needs to do something about this in Ohio.

I hope that you are OK and that tomorrow is not too hard on you. Take care of yourself.

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Annie - I've been thinking about you too, wondering how you are. I knew it was around a year since the accident. I'm sending hugs your way and prayers.

gael (gaelkm from Epinions)

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home