Wednesday, September 06, 2006

5 Books You Should Read!

Ok, I could go on and wax poetic about all sorts of classics and the merits of reading them... I was a lit major, so I could go there. But I'm not gonna. The following are five books that I just fucking love. Full Stop. I'll try to post this often, since I read an awful lot...
Click on any of the following to be taken to Amazon.


The Time Traveler's Wife


The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger.

I love this book. My One Skein SP sent it to me, and this is the first time I've ever suggested a book I haven't finished, but I'm loving it. Read it.


Oranges


Oranges by John McPhee
John McPhee is perhaps my favorite non-fiction author. This is an entire book, about oranges. You'll love it. I promise.


Wish You Well

Wish You Well by David Baldacci
I really enjoy Baldacci's usual political thrillers, but this book is a really touching and beautifully written human drama.


Outlander


Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
The great thing about not having read this book, is that there are six in the series so far! They're long and meaty and detailed and fantastic. So once you read the first in the series (more romantic than the others, but they all rock)... you can run out and buy and read the other five before having to wait for the next one!!

Count of Monte Cristo

The Count Of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas
I said this wasn't about classics, and it really isn't. This book is so, so wonderful, and it is not ponderous, slow or difficult to comprehend. It's a page turner, and one I re-read every other year or so. Buy a copy ASAP!!


Ok, there's five for ya. I'm not getting into detailed reviews. Maybe you like one of the authors above, and it'll help you find someone you haven't read before. Happy Reading!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to reading TTTW! And you know how I feel about Outlander ;) hehe!

7:08 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

:) TTTW is on its way to you!! :)

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh! I knew that The Time Traveler's Wife was good - I've heard that over and over. I'm getting it this weekend.

I have a GREAT recommendation for you - "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls. It's an amazing book. The back cover was sort of non-descript and boring but once I read it, I couldn't put it down. It's an amazing true story about a girl who grows up brutally poor.

Thanks for these recommendations; I'm going to check all of them out - that Oranges book looks great too.

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home