Thursday, November 30, 2006

Charity Challenge!

My dad runs a social services agency, and this year, as I've done in the past, I'm starting to make some baby and toddler hats in between bigger projects, using leftover yarns. Dad's got 7 offices in Massachusetts and lots of social workers who visit brand new parents with limited means. This is a great way to help families and feel good about it. In the past I've managed 4 or 5 hats a month for them, and I thought maybe y'all would be interested in busting out a couple of kiddie hats for the winter. Don't go buying yarn, and if you want to make a hat for mom and dad that's fine, too- mittens and scarves (for older kids) are also great. ANYTHING to keep someone warm will go to great use and be very appreciated!

I'll be giving Dad a bunch of knitted goods in January, so we've got some time. Maybe you'll be watching a movie and a quick baby hat would be the perfect mindless knitting for it? Anyhow, if you'd like to contribute please shoot me an email and I'll send you my address- some of you have it anyhow. Please put a little tag on each item letting the recipient know what it's made of and how to wash it. You can also say who it was made by and where you are, if you'd like (ie: Made by Annie in Boston).

And, I would add, you can do this all year long- anytime you just want to do a quick knit, I can give you my address or the Agency's and you can send it directly there. Dad's agency works with families and children, and does a lot of abuse intervention, crisis counseling for children and adults, big brothers/big sisters, foster and adoption,and more, and there are a lot of kids and families in MA who would be warmed in more ways than one by receiveing something handknit for the winter.

So if you have some spare yarn around the house, please think about making a couple of baby hats, toddler hats, mittens, an adult hat or scarf, etc. I have 3 hats and an adult scarf ready so far, but I'd like to really wow them this year! You can e-mail me at.... annecal at comcast dot net.

I don't have all of your email addys, and they don't show up in comments!! ;)

5 Comments:

Blogger Nell said...

Deffo count me in Annie! Email me your addy? N xx

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in! I'll email you =)

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to help. Email me your address.
How is your dad doing?

6:40 AM  
Blogger Dame Wendy said...

Thank you Annie, you rock!


And I'd love to make a baby hat!

8:45 PM  
Blogger soapy said...

It's great to help locally!
If I wasn't going to have surgery I'd love to help, I may get a hat or two in before not sure ;;o(((
blows all my holiday stuff right down to tubes this year

I did sign up for a tree hanging for knitted items at the local church here

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home