Monday, November 06, 2006

Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend... er, literally...




When Adam and I were browsing for engagement rings, he liked to tease me about my affection for all things sparkly. He used to call me his "magpie" and we got a pair of Angora rabbits around this time, and named the female "Carats."

Not long after we were engaged, I got an e-mail from him, and the subject line was "I know you'll do this when I'm dead!" The message was just a link.

Life Gem takes cremated remains, and extracts the carbon from them. It then uses a press and extreme heat to create a diamond from them. When Ad first sent me the link, they only made yellow diamonds. These would range from pale yellow to a deep red, depending on a person's individual makeup.

After Ad died, I went back to the site, and they now make blue diamonds. His eyes were blue, and blue was his favorite color. The blue stones are created with more heat over more time, and vary from very pale almost white blue to a sapphire blue.


The plan is to have three small diamonds made, and have them set into my wide, solid wedding band. The current plan is to also purchase two small regular diamonds, and set one blue, one white, one blue, white, blue. I'll then wear this band on my right hand, with my engagement ring.

I've gotten mixed opinions on this plan. Some people find it creepy, or weird. I suppose they would have maybe found me taking a handful of his remains with my bare hands and scattering them in the garden we planted for him "creepy" too. But it's just ashes. It's the body I loved and hugged and spent my life with, just in a different form. Nothing creepy there, so far as I'm concerned...

His family thinks it's excellent. I think Ad would laugh his ass off about it- I think he'd definitely approve. It was his idea, so I don't see how he can complain, really. Well, plus he's dead, so what I say definitely goes on this one! ;)

8 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

It's not creepy, it's pretty stinking cool - taking part of a person and making it into something indestructible is cool. Besides, if y'all would have laughed at it then it makes it kind of a secret joke, too.

I'd do it. I'm so sorry for your loss (since i'm new to your blog).

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think it's creepy, either. I say go for it--do what you want to do to remember him =)

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's really awesome of you. I would do the same.

1:06 AM  
Blogger Nell said...

I love you Annie, you're so cool :) I think it's a great idea! Not creepy at all. I can't wait to see it!

5:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just wanted to say hey.
i came across your blog from a link on mixedupbeauty.net.
i'm actually in massachusetts, too. here in gloucester.

also - love the ring idea. it sounds honoring and special.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Lanea said...

Not creepy at all, and neither was scattering his ashes in the garden.

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's a wonderful idea! I would absolutely do this if I were you. I don't think there is anything creepy about scattering his ashes in your garden either.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I think it's a great idea - I mean, come on he suggested it so no one can give you any guff!

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home