Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Sometimes My Parents Really Crack Me Up...

My mother and father were strict growing up. But in mostly good ways. They grew up next door to each other and have known each other since Mom was 4 and Dad was 3.


As a kid, my dad used to say "Never run after a boy or a bus, there will be another one along in a minute." This is probably a famous quote, but I'm not sure by whom. When I started dating, he used to say "Always keep at least one foot on the ground" - which has a double meaning, but I didn't make the connection until I was in college. He was probably the only man I know of who spent two years in Viet Nam and doesn't know a single Hendrix song. He got all excited the other day when I had a Nina Simone cd in the car, because he apparently listened to Nina a lot when he was fighting in South East Asia- more appropriate, probably, but a bit sad. He also never smoked pot.

Mom is also totally straight-laced, but in a slightly funnier way. She gave my college roommate and I a very serious talking to about the dangers of "marijuana cigarettes" which we managed to keep a straight face through, and deserve an award for, really.

That same night she had a look at our fake id's and after we promised to never drink and drive (we never would have) took us out to a local bar, and went to see a band I used to occasionally sing with. The band got her up on stage and she played tambourine then did a shot with them. Go Mom.


Unfortunately one of my mother's closest friend's from kindergarten passed away a couple of days ago, and Mom was talking to me about the funeral. Mom and Dad have a long history with a large group, they all go back about 60 years now, and so there is always a lot of gossip whenever there will be a gathering, whether the reason is happy or sad. She's going to be seeing some old friends she hasn't seen for a while and mentioned a woman, and said that my father bet her $10 that "peanut butter legs" would be there.

I said "peanut butter legs?"

Mum says- yeah- you've never heard your dad and I use that term?

I say no.

She says- "Peanut butter legs, you know, they spread easily."

Bwahahaha!!

This is my new favorite term, I think. Peanut Butter Legs.

Fucking Brilliant.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dame Wendy said...

Oh wow, that's an awesome phrase! I can't wait to use it. :)

I'm so glad you enjoyed the podcast!! Would you mind if I (or you) posted your comment on the podcast blog? I'm proud to get good feedback like yours and want to flaunt it, lol.

12:20 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I love your parents. And I love that quote about the bus, that is TOO funny and I have to use it. Often. !!

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome quote about the bus.
Peanut butter legs, that's too funny!

10:42 AM  
Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Bwah ha ha ha ha! I love it. "Peanut Butter Legs" - I am so using that sometime.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! Now that's a phrase I hadn't heard before.

And your parents sound SO cool. =)

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home