Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Digging In

I am still knitting along on Jemima. I've also ordered a bit more yarn, in the same dyelot,to finish Moose's sweater. In the meantime, I've been working on the "Big Digger Sweater" from Lucinda Guy's "Handknits for Kids"

I obviously need to do some practicing with intarsia, but I don't think it looks awful, and hopefully blocking will smooth it out.
The instructions for this sweater are a bit more ambiguous than I'd like. But I'm a needy knitter. I like things really spelled out. And there are no "finished measurements" which makes me kind of wonder how to best go about blocking this sucker. But we'll see.

Here are a couple of pics. The digger in the book has a "scoop" in a different color, but I decided to do it all in yellow. There will be some embroidery (wheel, tires, accents, etc) to come.


This is the front.


The stripes are light blue, but because it's late and I needed to use the flash, they look white. Actually, they look a bit lighter than I'd like without the flash, but "light blue" is Ben's favorite color, so I had to nip some in, someplace!

Here is the back-





And here is a real close up, so you can see how lousy my knitting looks, up close!



I've finished the earth toned Lady E. I need to do the crochet edge (need to learn crochet) and figure out the fiddly fringe, but she's all bound off. Interestingly, when blocking it, I realised there was a dropped stitch in the middle of one of the squares. Based on where it is, I'm guessing this was about the time of the trial, but my solution was to pull the stitches back up and through. Then I took some yarn in a similar color and just wove it through the back end, as if it were an end piece. I wove my way over to the dropped stitch, looped it tightly through that stitch and continued weaving. Not ideal, but hopefully it'll work. I'm sure as hell not going to rip back all that entrelac! If you have any other ideas/ suggestions as to how to fasten off that errant stitch, I'd love to hear them.

So that's all for now, more pics of Jemima and other knits soon.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Beverly said...

The sweater looks great! So cute.

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh very cute! I haven't yet done intarsia so I can't help you there.

11:35 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

I think you're doing great on the intarsia, Annie. My first (and only) intarsia project was a sweater for my godson with a tractor on the back. Yours looks so much better than the mess I created! Keep up the great work.

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You repaired the stitch just as I would, so no suggestions.

Your intarsia looks great! What an adorable sweater.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Katie Collette said...

Cute sweater!

I think you made a good choice on fixing the dropped stitch.

12:33 PM  
Blogger KelInCal said...

The sweater is too cute - your intarsia looks great! That's probably what I would have done with the dropped stitch, too - just weave that sucker in!

5:51 PM  
Blogger Jennie said...

Awww cute! :)

9:30 PM  
Blogger lns said...

My 91 yr old mom loved the Big Digger Sweater. She found a site for free instructions but it was incomplete. She couldn't relocate the website. Where did you get the instructions? Any chance I can get those instructions for mom?
Thanks - lns2119@aol.com

5:53 PM  
Blogger lns said...

My 91 yr old mom loved the Big Digger Sweater. She found a site for free instructions but it was incomplete. She couldn't relocate the website. Where did you get the instructions? Any chance I can get those instructions for mom?
Thanks - lns2119@aol.com

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home