Thursday, July 27, 2006

Knitting on Pain Killers...

Hmmm... this can be problematic. It's also one of the reasons I tend not to use painkillers, even when I need them, and unfortunately, I often do.

So the arthritis in my spine has been killing me lately, and I finally broke last night and took a damn pain pill. I was knitting the candle wrap from knitpicks, and had the 18 rows of garter stitch done. Time to get to the good stuff- the lace! This is where pain killers and knitting really don't mix.

I start the row of lace knitting, and occasionally I see 4 needles instead of 2, but if I close one eye it's better and so I forge ahead. And then I get to the end of the row and realize I have 9 stitches less than I should. Hmmm... I try and count back along the row, looking at the k2togs and yo's and whatnot, and they're sort of blurring together, and so then I think I'll unknit that row and start over, but that, as you might imagine went totally pear shaped, and so I ended up frogging the whole damn thing.

So, ladies and gentlemen. If you're going to knit on painkillers, avoid lace. In fact, stick to garter stitch, or St. stitch, unless you're looking for an interesting and totally unexpected pattern!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yikes! I can imagine how any meds would make knitting pretty difficult. I have enough trouble knitting while sleepy--nodding off in the middle of a row is definitely not good!

4:43 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Yeah, it's rough! Also red wine can be sneaky. I made the Irish Hiking scarf for a close friend while drinking and realized when I bound off that one cable row was two rows longer than it should have been. He's yet to find the flaw, even though I told him it's there, so I figure it's a "design feature!"

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've found that non-knitters usually can't spot mistakes as readily as we can =D Seriously, I can point out every single mistake in each of my projects!

10:15 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

OOh, I know. And I WISH I were the sort of knitter who would frog back hundreds of rows to fix a mistake, but I am NOT. I will frog back maybe 10, and that's kind of my limit. Unless it's a HUGE error, but I mainly make scarves, hats and bags (slowly, slowly working towards sweaters), and so far it hasn't been too much of an issue!

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home