Monday, February 26, 2007

My Ass, Handed to me by a Sitcom...

Yeah. So, Grey's Anatomy kicked my fucking ass this past week. I love this show. I really do. And I've remained loyal, even though some people have suggested that this is insane, not because the show doesn't rock, because it clearly does, but because of the topics.

SPOILERS

** If you don't watch YET, or you haven't seen last week's episode, then just stop reading, ok?? **

Ok, so here's the thing. Denny dies, and that night I get 4 or so phone calls of people calling saying are you ok??! and yeah, I was ok. I mean, it was sad, I was sad for Izzy, it was sad and horrid, but I didn't find it particularly hard to cope with. I mean, Ad didn't die that way. Denny went out really pretty quickly, and apart from the obviously craptastic situation of being stuck in a hospital bed waiting for a heart, he was compis mentis and had the woman he loved keeping him company and then BAM- he's dead. Ok, so yeah, it's sad. Really, sad. I get that, but there are worse things. Trust me, I know. Harder for me was her not wanting to get out of his bed. THAT I get. Losing my husband gave me a new empathy for people who keep loved ones on life support. Don't get me wrong, when there is no hope, then I do think the right thing to do is to let that person go, and that is what I did. But sitting with my husband, waiting for him to die so they could harvest his organs... that was rough. That was beyond rough. It really, really fucking sucked. So the whole Izzy not wanting to get out of the bed thing, yeah, that was hard to watch. I felt for her there. But then, she isn't real, and he isn't really dead.

Then came the Izzy on the floor scenes, which also earned me some phone calls, and then HEY! George's dad has cancer, and wouldn't you know it, so does mine!!

Yeah, that sucked, too. Cried my eyes out when George's dad dies. That was awful. Fortunately, my dad seems to be doing ok and will continue to do so.

And so, now we get to stupid fucking Meredith. I mean, seriously, I was half hoping she'd just die, already. Seriously. But then what would they call the show? She's just sort of, there. And I don't find her that empathetic. I know a lot of people who have had it a whole hell of a lot worse, and they may be as slutty (not that slutty is bad, I embrace slutty, in the right context), but they're not all "woe is me"... Hell, I'm not very "woe is me" (though I have my moments, and yeah, technically I'm totally depressed, but what are you going to do, right?), and I have every right to be all woe and doom, because let's face it, I'm the unluckiest bitch you will ever know. Seriously.

So. When stupid, useless fucking Meredith falls into the water and gives up, and not just because she's lazy, which might be totally justifiable, but because she wants to die, well, die then. But then she does "die" and hey, Denny is there, and the scene ends. And I cry for an hour or so, because I think- yes. This is what happens when we die.

I'm not crying because I care what happens to Meredith, or because Denny is dead, but because the scene is a reminder of one of the deepest hopes that I have ever held; that when I die, Ad will be there to greet me, and I'll say "I told you there was an afterlife" and he'll admit I was right and we'll hang out with all the people we know and love who are also dead, and won't it be grand?

But then the people at Grey's had to go and fuck that one, because in the third part, they all wax poetic about how it sucks to be dead and you don't see your loved ones, and maybe, if you're lucky, it's just kind of like you hear their voices. WHAT??
ARRRRUGH!!

Cried. My. Fucking. Eyes. Out.

For about three hours. That kind of choking, sobbing, might vom, sort of wracking, sobbing crying... do you know the kind? I'm pretty intimately familiar with that particular sort of crying, and let me tell you, it is no kind of good time.

So damn you, Grey's Anatomy. I mean, seriously- she's dead for what, 3 hours, and not so much as a stutter? I dated a guy in college who was hit by lightning and that poor bastard stuttered for about 6 months. Seriously.

They had better turn it out in the next episode to make this shit fest up to me.

I will, however, concede that Christina's dollar store expedition was fabulous, and Bailey rocks, full stop. But seriously- if anyone over at ABC is reading this, get it together!! Call me if you need story lines- if you want tragic crap, I got it. But no more of this dying but not dying, because, unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.

I also quite honestly thought, in the week following Adam's death that a witch, or a fairy, or an angel or some other creature would come and say we could change it, go back in time, bring him back, etc... and guess what. That didn't happen either. I really thought it might. Seriously. Something to do with shock and all the drugs they had me on to keep me from swallowing Draino or something... but the sad fact is that when people die, they die. And I know, there are things that happen, but if you're going to give us some miracle saga, then for the love of all things dramatic, at least make it something that makes us glad we watched.

Rant over.

6 Comments:

Blogger dancingnic said...

I know what you mean about Meredith. She makes me shout at the television - and not just because I wish she'd stop with the squinty eyes!! Meredith reminds me of the self indulgent Dawsons Creek / my so called life/ party of 5 style teenage angst that was trendy in the 1990s, but most of us grew out of to deal with life's real antics. But she doesn't. And she broke o Malley's heart. Rat Bandit.

That second series has just finished showing over here, and I don't know when the next one is going to start. Hopefully soon soon soon! With more sweater knitting into the bargain!

7:59 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

I've been recording season 3 and sending it over to my sister in law until she can buy the dvds in the UK! :)

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree w/you! I'm sick of people's woe is me when there really isn't anything that woeful in their life. Mer bugs the crap out of me and the whole Mer Der thing? Arggh! He decided to stay with his wife so he totally cheated on her with Mer. Give me Cristina, Bailey or Callie anyday!

I don't have any real experience with death yet, so I don't have anything to say on the subject except that I hope you are feeling better now.

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Annie, I thoroughly enjoy the way you write. You give me goose bumps when you speak of Adam. How lucky you were to experience that kind of love. I know, it totally sucks he's not here anymore, you didn't deserve that.
Meredith gets on my nerves as well, I was half hoping they would just get rid of her!

4:06 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

I'm doing better now, thank you. I still have my moments, that's for sure! Pam, thank you so much... I am very... frank. People love it, or find it off-putting, but I am not really one to beat around the bush, you know?

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I got a bit sick of Meredith's whinging. Survive having a pedophile for a father, childhood poverty, losing your mother when you're 26 to cancer, then losing your son at the age of five months to an inherited terminal condition, then come talk to me about tragic. Let's not count the two subsequent miscarriages I endured to get my two girls, one of which almost killed me. Her life is not tragic. Some of us have had to pick ourselves up by the bootstraps and carry on despite having the odds stacked against us.

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home