Thursday, February 22, 2007

Baby Blanket Woes...

So I've been knitting baby blankets like a fiend lately. And I'm not very happy with them. I am posting some pics here and I'm hoping you'll be honest with me. Even if you agree they look somewhat crappy, tell me. I don't care if you think they are the worst blankets you've ever seen- just tell me. Really, really- I just want to know.

So, blanket number one is an entrelac blanket I've been working on. The problem isn't the pattern, really... it's more the yarn. I do like this yarn, but it will snag on anything- even just a bit of rough skin, which is tough to manage in the winter. Also, I feel like the edges are not looking as neat as I'd like- the colors are showing through a bit too much- again, probably a symptom of stretchy ribbon like yarn. So. Here is the first photo- you can see what I mean- the edges look a little tired, and the alternate color peeks through more than I'd like it to.



See what I mean? It's bad, right? Be HONEST. Really. Because I'm getting ready to frog, frog, frog.


Here's another pic of the blanket, covering more area...




The second blanket is a Blue Sky Cotton blanket- the pattern is from Blue Sky.
I knit it using the Organic natural, and had planned to use the "sky" colorway for the ruffle. Couple of problems with this one, and I think it is, in part, the pattern. It calls for size 11 needles, which is fine, the loose gauge gives it a nice drape, but I think the eyelets on a size 11 needle are too big, and I'm not wild about just how loose the stitches are.

Here's a photo of the blanket, overall...





And here's the eyelet, with my finger up to it, showing how large the holes are. I'm actually a little worried that the baby might snarl his fingers in these holes- they really are big!




See what I mean? Arrrrugh. Also, I posted on the knitty board that the ruffle for this blanket is a nightmare- yarn overs every where, and they are just TOO big. I don't know what size needle they used in the photo for the pattern, but I'd bet it wasn't an 11! It just looks sloppy to me.

So, honest thoughts, please. I love the Blue Sky yarn, I'm just not so sure about the pattern.
Should I re-knit it with smaller needles?
Should I re-knit it using another pattern? Can you suggest another pattern? I think I have 5 skeins of cream and 3 of blue.

THANK you.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Lanea said...

Hmmmm, eyelets always worry me in baby blankets. They seem like torture devices.

Don't be so hard on the entrelac though. Have you blocked it yet? That always makes a huge difference for me. And baby blankets are supposed to look worn after a little while--they are utilitarian objects, and the fact that they are used is very very good.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

I agree with the eyelet thing. Teeny tiny ones, they're not so bad, but these are immense. Time to frog.

I think I will stick with the entrelac... it's really easy care yarn, so it's a good drag everywhere blanket, and maybe perfection is not so important....?

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please don't frog until you block both pieces! You can do it with a steam iron if you don't want to wash with the yarn on the needle.

For what it's worth, the baby's respective fingers will be fine, even with the eyelets. But if the blanket really bugs you, you know what to do.

IMO both blankets are lovely, and if it were me (but it isn't!) I'd finish and gift both of them.

I don't know why blogger stopped showing websites when you check "other." I'm Michelle from www.fickleknitter.com

5:45 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Michelle! Good to catch up!!

Michelle and Bertha-- I think I'm going to stick with the entrelac, but frogging is looking more likely on the Blue Sky one- the eyelets are just way too huge, I think!! Not sure what I'll do with the yarn- attempt the pinwheel blanket, maybe? Need to do some pattern searching, i think!

6:23 PM  
Blogger brewerburns said...

I also suspect that the entrelac edges will smooth up when you block it. In fact, I like the entrelac blanket.

12:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the entrelac blanket is BEAUTIFUL, and I'm sure the edges will block out. To be honest, if I was given it I would be so entranced by the clever knitting (and overwhelmed at a gift that had taken so much time and effort) I would barely notice a few looser stitches around the edges.

I made the 'oh so soft' baby blanket a while ago in Rowan baby cashmerino (http://www.flickr.com/photos/24901054@N00/199628095/) which was a good knit and whilst there were eyelets in it I don't think they're big enough to cause any problems.

6:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the entrelac blanket, but do think that the eyelet blanket is too loose.
Frogging stinks, but with a glass of wine it might make it a little better.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Nell said...

Hey Annie!

I was going to say the same as Michelle, can you block first? I think it'll make the world of difference. Otherwise, for the eyelet blanket maybe reknit with smaller needles would be best.

I love the entrelac (I'm still baffled by the technique!). I would be thrilled to get either blanket.

Don't be so hard on yourself!

Nell x

7:15 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

I'm afraid to wash the cotton because 1. will it be harder to pick apart the bind-off edge?

2. I have the same amount again of yarn in the natural color that I haven't used, and if I choose a different pattern, then I don't want to work half with yarn that's been washed- does that make sense or am I worrying about nothing?


Nell- you have to try entrelac!! It's actually very, very easy, and I'll help walk you through it if you run into trouble!

Bez- I'm running off to have a look at the Oh So Soft blanket.

I just found out a friend of my late husband and his wife are also pregnant- more baby knitting! Yikes!

8:17 AM  
Blogger dancingnic said...

I had to frog a lovely jumper recently because it just didn't fit. I tried to look on the bright side and tell myself that I was lucky because I got to knit with the same beautiful wool twice for the price of one! Cheesy or What? It worked for me though! I agree with Scary b , the entrelac blanket is gorgeous and has obviously been the product of skill and love. That's what really counts, eh?

2:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OK, here's my masterful opinion on your baby blankets, and if you're not up for it, stand back because I'm wrestling with in-law issues right now and I'm loaded a bit for bear:

#1) Listen to your previous commentors, because they're all right - once you block that sucker it'll be stars-in-her-eyes for the mom-to-be. besides, what kind of masochist are you, taking a close-up like that and asking random strangers to tell you how *bad* it looks??? Ease up, bay-bee. You're *fine.* ;~)

#2) This one reminds me of that whole "crunchy-boho-matchgirl" aesthetic that's so trendy now. Ya know, with the purposefully holey, stretchy, simple-plain-oatmeal, shawly kinda things? If you can't abide it as a baby blanket gift, fold it into a triangle and tie it around your jeans. With a peasant blouse and your tsavorite jewelry, you'll look like a model.

*harumph*

(btw, speaking of the whole '90s twenty-something dramas, I really wanted to hate your own personal brand of woeful angst, but you're just too d*mn sweet and honest and well-written. I luv you more than Grey's.)

~ hb33 ~

8:13 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Honeybee, thank you!

The verdict is in, and I'm forging on with the entrelac blanket and frogging the cotton...

Honey, you had some good ideas, but I have no less than 7 babies arriving this summer... everyone is pregnant! I need to use this yarn for a blanket, so it's onward....

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home