Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Blocking Scare

So, I'm plugging away on Jemima, and Jen is totally kicking my tail.

I'm also blocking my Not Your Standard Issue Sweatshirt II, which I was inspired to make for the Moose, when I saw Tiennie's version of it. I even used the same yarn she did, Classic Elite "Duchess" in a very sweat-shirty grey, that Miss Moose herself chose.

I'm kind of scared. I'm actually really fucking scared. I did a gauge swatch and got gauge. I did wet and let the gauge dry and it bloomed a bit but nothing crazy. Well, now all the parts are out, and they have stretched MASSIVELY! I'm talking 3-6 inches in more or less every direction. So I'm praying it'll shrink up again, because I'm seaming it tomorrow at a local LYS, and right now it'd fit my dad. The Moose is quite petite, despite the nickname, so hopefully it won't be swimming on her. I don't want to have to completely re-knit it, but I will. If I have to. Or if Dad doesn't like it. ;)


So I have a confession. I'm a little bit of a stalker. Who do I stalk? Grumperina. Not that she reads my blog, but I just love her. I really am amazed by her skills. And she makes me laugh. I have a kind of girl crush on her. And I used to work in the city where she lives, and I am occasionally there for medical appointments, and I am always on the lookout for her. That is the extent of the stalkiness, so no need to warn her. Except maybe if some completely strange woman suddenly hugs her in Harvard Square, and she posts about it, it's probably moi. I just think she's such a craftigoddess. I read her blog all the time, and I don't comment much, because I'm too awe-inspired or something. Anyhow, love that gal. It's something to aspire to, knit-wise.

And I notice some blogs, you know, the ones that just everyone reads... they have the ads running up the side. And the ads generally relate to whatever the blog deals with. So I'm thinking mine would have a Little Knits ad (love them- they rock, and I spend a lot of my money there), and then there'd be an ad for a glass place, because I've been buying stained glass by the cart-load... and then probably Valium Ads, and maybe one of those "are you crazy" self tests that then take you to places to get valium... and what else? Oh! Shampoo and conditioner. You would not believe what I spend on shampoo and conditioner. And moisturizer. Oh, and stretch mark cream. The steroid situation of '04, the one that gave me facial hair but made my hair fall out, gave me weird fat pads, so I looked like a wet Gremlin, and helped me go from a size 2 to a 20 between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Yep, well that last bit left me with stretch marks on a large portion of my body. DEEP marks. I actually went to a dermatologist to see about having them laser lightened, and she said I had so many and they were so severe, it would cost between six and seven thousand dollars! I said for that amount of money I can get a boob job and no one will notice the stretch marks!

She didn't laugh.


Finally, I mentioned earlier how I love Little Knits. I placed an order with them yesterday for a secret project, and then today I got an e-mail that they were offering free shipping. I of course just figured it was my usual bad luck, and didn't dwell on it, but they pay-palled me back the shipping! Love that.

Have a good night, folks.

8 Comments:

Blogger Shannah said...

Thanks for the comment. Yes, my very first finished crocheted object. Always before it's just been borders. I'm mostly just into the knitting, you know? :-)

And YIKES -- goodluck with the sweater!

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I can get a boob job and no one will notice the stretch marks!"

Hahahahahahahaha

The evil fuckers will turn silver someday. Or so I'm told. Mine still look like a map going to nowhere.

Maybe it's the wine talking, but if I knit a sweater and it grew to giant proportions I'd seam it to the right size and cut off the excess yarn. Cut it right off I said.

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

K, I totally laughed at the boob job comment. I can't believe the doctor didn't laugh!

I have stretch marks on my ass thankyouverymuch and they've turned silvery. I don't remember if they're from growing 3 inches in 6 months or from gaining 20 pounds.

Hmmmm....

You know, I think the Yarn Harlot had a stretching issuing or a seaming issue where she ended up sewing a sweater together on her sewing machine and cut the excess off. I say if the sweater grows that much, just sew it up and no one will be the wiser. :)

2:25 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

I'm with you on the stretch marks. I had been severely overweight as a younger woman and lost 90 pounds, then got pregnant. I honestly thought because I had been so much bigger before that my body was as stretched as it could go and I wouldn't get pregnancy stretch marks. Pipe dream! They just showed up in different places!

Girl crushes are good ;) Admitting it is the first step :) And while I don't know Grumperina, I don't think she would mind at all.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

Ok, sewing and cutting... I'm not the freakin' Yarn Harlot!! No fucking way. Too scary. I'm having to postpone the seaming class because it's been wet and cold here and the damn pieces won't dry.

The stretch marks are starting to silver... but they're very deep. And some are more than an inch wide. I'll have to post photos of my disgusting self sometime! :)

9:36 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

I heart Grumperina too. Especially after she declared she is not a sweater knitter. Made me feel better about my horrible sweater skills.

Crossing my fingers that your sweater comes out okay. I can relate to the heart failure you must have had upon realizing how large it had become.

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! I have deep stretchmarks too (but from pregnancy.) I had so many that my dr said my stretchmarks were having stretchmarks.

I should have warned you about that yarn. When I pinned it to dry, I had to do some fancy gathering so it wouldn't dry into that huge shape. I completely forgot. Sorry!

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hugs freely distributed at Harvard Square, at any time :) (you never know who's reading, hehe)

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home