Monday, September 10, 2007

Lighter Meme

1. Three films you rented recently?

1. Out of Africa.


If you haven't seen this film, you really must rent it. Streep is perfection, and Robert Redford... well. Let's just say that the hair washing scene is enough to fuel my sexual fantasies for months. Ok, maybe weeks, but you get the idea. I used to tell Adam he should wear khakis more often because he'd look like Redford in Out of Africa. Also, he had a great bum. It didn't work, but the film really is a must-see.

2. Whale Rider.
Lara said that I had to see this, and she was right. I can't believe I didn't see it before, and it was certainly one of the best films I have EVER seen. Rent it as soon as you can. It's brilliant. Moving, funny, touching... everything you could want in a film.


3. Jurassic Park.

Ok, I know this is a little departure in genre, but I rented it again and man, do I love this film. Especially the soundtrack. Although now it's back into my head for probably another couple of years. But what a great film! And I'd forgotten Sam Jackson was in it. Although he gets eaten by Velociraptors fairly quickly. How fucking scary are those Velociraptors? I mean, seriously, those fuckers can open doors. I bet they could pick a lock with their toenails. Very bad news. Oh! And when the T-Rex (with his little arms) is running after the Jeep, and they see it in the rearview mirror and it is RIGHT FUCKING THERE, and the mirror says "Objects in Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear"- BRILLIANT!




Now, when I first saw this film I was in High School and went on a date to see a film which I thought was a cute little film about dinosaurs. In the early ads for the film there was no indication that it was kind of a scary movie. Needless to say, all the 6 year olds and I were wetting ourselves. But it was a good film. And it's worth watching again.


2. Are you into any crafts other than knitting?


Yes. I got a sewing machine from Adam for my 28th birthday. I have been meaning to get more into quilting and thought it would happen this summer, I usually don't like to knit when it's really hot out. But the knitting held me, and I also don't really have space for making quilts. I need a dedicated craft room.

I've also gotten into making Mosaics this year. R gave me classes for my birthday, and I've really taken to it. Here is the mirror I made him-


The birdbath I've been working on for myself-




And a peek at a project I've been working on for my friend, Nils, who has commissioned me to make him a mirror for his bathroom.

The larger piece of glass is sea glass. I use a lot of beach glass and semi-precious tumbled stones along with cathedral stained glass, murano glass and other glass.

3. Any New Stash or Notions Acquisitions?

Always. A little while ago I was at a yarn store with R, and noticed him fondling this-



So when he left the shop I bought 3 skeins for a scarf for him. I'm thinking cabled. Complicated cables. But we'll see.


I also bought two skeins of this-


Cascade Eco Wool,for, you guessed it! A Hemlock Ring Blanket.


I also ordered some stitch markers from Etsy, and I'll post more about those when they arrive. I've also been considering making myself some stitch markers, but we'll see how that goes!

4. What Are You Listening To?

As always, kind of an eclectic mix of stuff. The Fray, an old System of a Down album, some old Shirley Bassey, and "You can Learn French in your Car"- yeah. My family and Adam's are all going to Normandy for a week in October, and I know Spanish, but not French. So far, I can ask where the bank is, and say "what is that?" Oh, I can also ask for the bathrooms, and for dessert. So I think I'll be ok. I don't have high hopes. But I don't drive much lately (crappy joints), so I haven't really dedicated myself to it in the way I'd planned. I figure there are a few key phrases I need to learn- "Is there a yarn shop?" "I am allergic to fish and shellfish" and "I am American, but I did not vote for Bush. Either time."



5. Name Five Things On Your Knitting Wishlist?
Oh, this one is easy! I have a big-ass Amazon Wish List full of books, most are knitting.


1.Victorian Lace Today I want to make myself this-


2. Knitting Classic Style

3. A Gathering of Lace

4. Some Cashmere Indie Silk in this color


From Little Knits

5. A set of Knit Picks Options Needles. In the regular Nickel, I think. I love wood needles, but am not loving the coloring on the wooden ones.



So I have enough on my wish list for now, I think. And that's only scratching the surface! :)


Ok, so there are 5 questions. If you read this, consider yourself tagged!!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that shawl from Victorian Lace Today! I can't wait to see your version. Man, I remember when Jurassic Park just came out in the theaters. I wanted to go so badly but my mom wouldn't let me. I must have been in the 5th grade or something.

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your mosais are so pretty! I can't wait to see that Hemlock Ring!

4:51 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

That mirror is stunning. I love the the way you grouped all of the rounded-edged pieces near the mirror and how their silvery color mimics the silver of the mirror.

Years ago, my sis and I went to Universal Studios in Florida. The parking garage has the theme to Jurassic Park playing in one section on each level of the garage. When we came out of the park after a long day, and realized we'd lost the car, we walked what seemed like miles looking for it. That stupid theme played loudly and mocked us the whole way. We still sing it to each other and laugh.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Josiane said...

I really like your mosaics! They make me feel like playing with colors...
Oh, you're learning a bit of French! How cool! (ok, as it is my first language, I may be a bit biased...) If you don't drive much these days, what about listening to it while knitting? Anyways, if I can be of any help, let me know: I'd really be happy to help you with it.
Josiane (kimianak in Ravelry)

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great answers! I love the mosaics. So pretty! I did this on my own blog but didn't do mine up as fancy as you... no pics. :)

10:35 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Beverly, thank you! The silvery bits on the mirror edge are abalone. I used those for the inspiration, and the rest is glass, rose quartz, other semi-precious stones, sea glass, and a teeny-tiny clam shell. :)

The music is SO addictive, isn't it? Do do do, do do...

10:38 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Beautiful mosaics, Annie. And good god, that cashmere indie silk is stunning! I hope you get some of those things ticked off your wish list!

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your mosaics are so inspiring!!! I love both of them but particularly adore the birdbath. You make me want to try it!

5:14 PM  
Blogger KelInCal said...

Your mosaics are awesome - too beautiful! You crack me up with your Jurassic Park review!! Now I'm going to have to rent Out of Africa...

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home