Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thankful

Sometimes it is hard to remember that I have it as good as I do. Sometimes, all I can think of is pain, and grief, and exhaustion, and depression. But mostly, I am thankful. My life has not really turned out in the way I had once thought it might. I have seen things, experienced things, that I would not wish on anyone. Things that have changed who I am, though not necessarily for the better or worse.

Despite all these things, I always remind myself how much I have. How much I am so very thankful for.

I am thankful for the love I had, for the man who made me see myself through different eyes, who gave me strength and taught me what it feels like to be cherished.

I am thankful for my family. Like any family, we're not perfect, but there is tremendous love and strength which I take from my families. They always have my back, as I have theirs, and I'm very thankful that these people are in my life. Being adopted makes me even more aware of how blessed I am that these people have come into my life. Also, being adopted makes me more aware than others what family really means. It's not really the people you share blood with, and I have a sister at home, one in the UK and a third in PA, and I'm so grateful for them. For my parents, my in-laws.

I am thankful for my friends, who seem to love me, even though I'm scary and damaged. One of them recently said to me, 'it doesn't matter how damaged you think you are, because you're more beautiful on the inside than you are on the outside, and you are funny as hell.' Which made me think, yes, that's true. My inside is quite nice. I'm a good person, and I'm glad they think I am funny. Helps when I'm so depressed I don't like the leave the house, and I ignore the ringing phone and am crap at remembering to return e-mails. I am very thankful to have this bunch of people. I love each of them, in different ways, for different strengths and joys they bring to me, and it was a nice reminder, in a low time, that they think I bring them good things as well.

It is because of them that I am not in a padded cell. Not that that still isn't an option, mind you.


So, I don't have my health, I'm not the prettiest girl in the room, or the smartest, or the funniest, or the most athletic. But I'm ok. It could be worse. I'm not really doing so bad, you know? I have my friends, I have my family. I have a roof over my head and more yarn and glass than I know what to do with just now. Things are actually pretty ok. And I am thankful for that.

Happy Thanksgiving.

8 Comments:

Blogger Josiane said...

Annie, finding you and your blog made me happy. I am really thankful for that, and for the little bit of conversation we had on Ravelry, too: it was great.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Happy Thanksgiving. =) *hugs*

7:39 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

youre a beautiful and caring woman..

8:55 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

You said: "I'm not the prettiest girl in the room, or the smartest, or the funniest, or the most athletic."

Yeah, me neither - but I like me and you just the same :)

8:41 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

Hey, I'll take a beautiful inside over an outwardly whole whackjob any time! Happy Thanksgiving. You're one strong woman, don't forget that.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Happy Thanskgiving, Annie, a little late. This is a really nice Thanksgiving post. You always offer such wonderful perspective

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your list. I am glad to have "met" you! Hope you had a wonderful holiday!

9:39 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Happy Thanksgiving dearie. You're real, like the rest of us. I for one am happy you share your Real.

Hey, I've emailed you a few times and not heard back, hope you're ok. :)

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home