Saturday, October 20, 2007

Trip Recap, part 2- Home and Honfleur

Good Morning! I've been up since 4, so I thought I'd get on and do some posting. I have so much to catch up on. A thousand e-mails, most of which are junk, and I'm dying to read your blogs and get on Ravelry, and get stuck back into some projects.


But first, a few images from our Gite, which is basically a French rental property... So, seriously, it was in the middle of nowhere. The population of the village we were in was 48, so when the 9 of us arrived we significantly increased the population. There were apple trees everywhere, as Normandy is known for it's Calvados and Cider, and, on our property, a walnut tree, which we found when a walnut fell on Moose's head, leaving a nicely shaped bump.

This is my room. You've already seen my gorgeous sheepy view, but here is the bed, and you can see the fireplace chimney cutting into the room. No photo of the fireplace really does it justice.


The house was packed with large antiques, and we wondered how the hell they got them up the staircase, which was stone, and spiral.
Here's the armoire in my room, you can see all the yarn in there.




There were three bedrooms, a bathroom with two sinks and a tub, and a separate room with just a toilet on the second floor. On the first day, the toilet seat broke, literally coming off the toilet. Which made things interesting. On the third floor there were two more bedrooms, and a good sized bathroom with a shower. So, really there were 9 people with one functional toilet, and one shower. Also, we found on the first day, that the stove was VERY small, with no broiler/grill, and the oven was only large enough for one dish, and took ages to come to heat, which proved a little challenging in cooking for 9 each night.


One of my favorite towns was Honfleur.


This is me, with my sisters.



Probably the most famous attraction in Honfleur is St. Catherine's Church, which is the oldest wooden church in Europe, built by ship builders in the 15th c.



Because of safety concerns (lightning strikes, storms) and structural concerns of the weight and long term effects on the wooden structure that ringing bells would have, a separate bell tower was built.


Ben and I lit a candle for Adam in St. Catherine's. Here we are outside.




We had lunch on the harbor, where I got my croque monsieur fix (the most delicious sandwich ever created), and where we were given this in much the way restaurants here would give you bread.


Ben and Moose totally cracked me up playing with them. This is probably my favorite photo of Ben.




And this photo of Moose KILLS me! She was doing her "French Chef" impression.


So there is some of Honfleur. If you want to see the rest, they're on Flickr. More soon!

4 Comments:

Blogger Nell said...

I love France!! Seeing your pics makes me feel so keen to go.. We might be going for New Year's..

Great pics, glad you enjoyed it :)

6:05 AM  
Blogger Josiane said...

Thanks for showing a bit of Normandy! I've got to travel more around in France. I've spent a couple of months there, but have mostly been staying in Paris (where I have a place to stay anytime I want), with only a couple of days in Picardie and a day trip in Nord-Pas-de-Calais. I'm off to see the rest of your pictures on Flickr!
I hope that you'll soon be able to find your rhythm again.

11:53 AM  
Blogger T said...

Argh, the lovely gite! And I loved Honfleur too, we were very near there. Yep, you're forcing us to have another holiday, lol.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

It all looks so beautiful! What a neat place to stay (although I'm sure another functioning toilet would have made it a bit better!). I'd love to visit France someday. Can't wait to check out your flickr pix.

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home