Friday, March 09, 2007

Neckline woes

Ok. I finished the Top Secret Sweater. And I did it all correctly, for the most part, but I don't like the way the turtleneck looks on me. And this may be, in part, psychological. When I was on the steroids I got very swollen, and my face was enormous (known as moon-face), and my neck literally disappeared. So I wore a lot of turtlenecks. Well, two, actually, it was hard finding things to fit me, as I was an XXL.
Yeah.

So anyhow, I tried taking a pic or two, using my macbook, so I could show the boyfriend, and here is one of them...







I just... don't like it. And also when folded over, it shows reverse st. st., which is fine, but seems weird. And I thought maybe I fucked up someplace and was supposed to be knitting in reverse st. st., but that doesn't seem to be the case. But really, that isn't the issue. I just don't like the way I look in the turtleneck.

So I frogged it back to the point where I was to increase one side of the yoke by two rows, and just bound it off there, but the thick/thin, nubbly nature of the yarn isn't really working with this- it isn't rolling down enough, and it just looks sloppy. Should I try picking up stitches and knitting a few rows along the bound off edge of the neck and binding off again? Would that create the stockinette roll?
I'm just not sure what to do.

Arrrrugh.

Any suggestions? Because I'm about ready to just frog the whole thing and make a cardigan instead with the yarn. Ugh.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can definitely pick up stitches at the bound off edge until you find a neckline you like. If you want a stockinette roll, bind off with a much bigger needle so the neck isn't too tight.

There's a book (one of many) that discusses necklines, "The Sweater Workshop" by Jacqueline Fee. Also if you would prefer a cardigan you can steek the center of the sweater you already have instead of frogging the whole thing. It's a lovely sweater, it'd be a shame to frog it!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

When I bound off, I used a much larger needle, so should I pick up the stitches on the bound off edge, and still using a larger needle, knit a couple of inches and bind off again?

Steeking scares the crap out of me!

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm bad about suggestions so no help from me. I hope you do find a solution so you don't frog it all!

2:02 PM  
Blogger dancingnic said...

Hey Annie,
Sorry to hear that you're not pleased with your jumper! It's always so frustrating when something you have worked hard on doesn't turn out the way you want it to!

At least the cool thing about knitting is that you can undo it as many times as necessary until it looks right!

Keep smiling!

Nic x

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could always nix the turtleneck and do a boatneck, like I did! Of course, mine was on accident, as I was about to run out of yarn and HAD to make it a boatneck, lol =D

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Annie, I think you would use the larger needles to knit a few inches.
I have hated turlenecks since I was little, I used to pull and tug at them because they drove me nuts. I don't like they way I look in them either and haven't worn one in years.

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Annie,
Could you send me your address? I have some hats made up and will send them this week to you. My email is
pmh814@hotmail.com
Thanks! Pam

7:26 AM  
Blogger Lanea said...

Oh, frustration. I also hate to wear turtlenecks. Do you think you could take a close-up photo of the trouble you're having with the would-be roll-neck option? I'm having a hard time visualizing why that doesn't work.

But don't frog the whole thing if you like the rest of the sweater--there is absolutely a neckline that will save it.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I personally hate turtlenecks but love cowlnecks. Could you maybe just increase some stitches to make it a bigger neck, so it doesn't feel so much like a turtleneck to you? It's hard to tell from that picture, but I think it looks like a nice sweater and lovely yarn so it would be sad to frog it all!

12:48 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

Thank you everyone- I haven't tackled it... yet. Maybe a cowl, or just not such a large turtleneck... I need to play around a bit, but the problem is that being my first sweater, I'm not really at the point where I'm comfortable just making something up! I'll figure it out, though... thanks for all the suggestions!!

Antibiotics are finally kicking in and I feel quasi-normal today. Still sick, but less dizzy!!

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, I'd do exactly what you said Annie. And if you don't like the way it looks you can rip it out and try something new. As for the steeks, the sweater is tweed right? That means should you opt for a cardi and have to steek the fiber will be "sticky," meaning it isn't likely to unravel before you sew the edges.

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home