Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The Weird, The Sad (and kinda gross), and the Triumphant

The Weird
Today was my trash day. I live in a fairly affluent town (small house in a nice area), and we do not have trash pick up (or sewers- all septic here), and I'm pretty sure my exorbitant tax dollars (for my fellow Massholes, I live in one of the "W" towns in Metro West) go to the fab school system and the new Dodge Chargers the town police seem to be rockin' around town in. I pay for Waste Management to come and collect my recycling and trash, and today was bottles and cans week. I noticed a woman outside, all bundled up, going through my recycling bin. It was cold today. Really fucking cold. About 5 degrees, and windy as hell. So there's this older woman, and she's rifling though the recycling looking for things she can get a 5 cent deposit refund on. And I am looking out the window and pulling on my boots, because I want to run out and tell this poor woman, who has walked from God knows where, in this freezing weather, that I have more cans in a bag in the garage and she's welcome to them. But before I have a chance, she takes three empty ginger ale bottles and walks across the street, and hops into the drivers seat of a brand new Lexus SUV!! Seriously!! And drives away.
Laughed my ass off, and thought to myself, maybe if I returned all those bottles and cans myself, I, too, could afford a Lexus. But seriously. Weird, right??

The Sad (and kinda gross)

Boyfriend gave me a juicer for Valentine's Day. A really nice, fancy one. So I've been juicing, and there is all this pulp and seeds and stuff that comes out, and goes into the trash. The other night, just before bed, I had to change bin bags, and it was late, and I was tired, so I put the trash bag in the little mudroom by the back door (which also acts as my storage, pantry, laundry room, coat room, and medicine chest- seriously, my house is TINY), and I go to bed. Yesterday I notice that there is a really unpleasant smell in the mudroom, and I assume it's probably rotting fruit bits, and figured the smell would dissipate. But it didn't, and so I thought maybe there was a teeny, tiny leak in the bag and maybe some nasty fruit slime had seeped out and soiled my tile. Not that my tile is very clean, but it isn't smelly. So I got some clorox wipes out and cleaned the tile where the bag was sitting, but that didn't help. And then I remembered... my little friend. Do you remember that story? Well, I'm afraid he may have passed away in the vents. Yeah. Gross. And sad.

But mainly gross. It really smells in here. It's not a nice smell, and it reminiscent of... I don't know... decomposing chipmunk?

The Triumphant
I joined the sleeves to the body of my Top Secret sweater- so far, so good. Kind of fucked up the decrease round, and realized I had somehow mis calculated and needed to still do a couple decreases when I finished the round, but I just slipped them into the next row, because I couldn't face unknitting 160 odd stitches and starting over. But I think that'll be ok. Or, you know, not.

I do not, in any way, feel secure that this thing will fit properly, and not be misshapen in some way, but we'll see. It's my first sweater, so I'm not expecting perfection, but if I could actually wear it, that would be very cool.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes I wonder how much those people who hold up cardboard signs make in a day doing that. I've heard of them getting into BMWs after their hard day's work.

Sorry about the weird friend/smell. Hope it goes away!

Hope the finishing on the sweater goes great!

9:54 PM  
Blogger dancingnic said...

Hey well done on the sweater! It's a baggy one, isn' it - so I bet you won't even notice any 'discrepancies'!

Sorry to hear about your chipmunk friend!

Nic x

3:42 AM  
Blogger Nell said...

We ahve a juicer. It lives under the sink and hardly sees the light of day. :)

Can't wait to see the jumper!! I'm sure its gonna be great.

4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a friend die in my walls a few summers ago. We had a family of squirrels in our attic that we paid a fortune to have removed, but one obviously got stuck in the wall, and the smell was horrible. Especially in 90 degree weather.
Congrats on your first sweater!

9:05 AM  
Blogger Lanea said...

Awwww maaannnnn, I hope it's not your little friend making the smell. That could be hard to get rid of. We had a similar problem in my folks' house one winter break when I was in college. It turned out that their beagle had been stealing rib bones and hiding them under the baseboard heating. Gross.

Yay sweater!

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home