Monday, March 19, 2007

Still Knitting...

Mostly baby blankets!

First, here's a photo of progress on the entrelac blanket... It's getting there, and I wish I could just hunker down and finish it, already, but... it's getting there!



I also frogged the eyelet blanket and started a pinwheel blanket with it!




And then... well, then there's the SAFARI BLANKET OF DOOM! My best friend in the whole world came across the Knit Baby Blankets! book and fell in love with the safari blanket. She asked if I could make it for her, as my new niece or nephew will be arriving this summer... and I had a look, swallowed hard and said I'd give it a go.
Now, do any of you have this book??






This blanket is scary stuff. Here is a photo of it...



Here are some photos of the intarsia charts...






And that's all well and good. It SEEMS that the way it's done is you cast on the beginning and then using dpns you start each triangle on a dpn knitting the intarsia chart... mmmmmkay....


But then they toss in this handy diagram for how to put the blanket together, and seriously, what the fuck??





Ok. So I have all the yarn. I ordered Knitpicks Swish superwash to do it, and I think it'll be good. Plus, I read some reviews about the yarn called for in the pattern, Briggs &Little Regal, and it seems that it's nice, but very rough, and so really not suitable for a baby blanket.

So. Do any of you have the book?? I've searched the internet and can't find anyone who has made this thing. Hold me. I'll be getting started on it soon. Oi.


I also got some fantastic packages!!

Pam sent me some baby hat's for my dad's charity- we just had another snow storm and burst of cold weather, so these are just wonderful!!





And then, a little while ago, I posted on Knitty that I was looking for scraps of silk garden. I am doing a Lady Eleanor, and having failed to lock on to one color way of silk garden that I liked, I decided to use a bunch of them. And I thought about all the quarter skiens of the stuff I've put into the bin, and how I now wished I'd saved them, and petitioned people to pass on any scraps of silk garden they might have lying around...

Yarnit sent me a great package, with an abandoned Egdar, some candy, tea and a lovely card- (I drank the tea this week, when I was sick!)



And Abesmama sent me some fantastic little bits, and also some Transitions to try out- which is very exciting!





So, thank you to Sheryl and Regina! I'll keep you all posted with the project, and if you have any scraps or unused skeins of silk garden, send them my way, or let me know if you're interested in a swap- I have stuff.

That's it for now!!

11 Comments:

Blogger Nell said...

OMG Annie, are you MAD???

No seriously, well done you, that blanket will look lovely when you've done. It is not beyond you at all, you'll be just fine!!

2:33 PM  
Blogger dancingnic said...

Hey! Good to see you back!

The blanket looks mighty scary - but I'm sure it's one of those projects that you kinda dread - but then get into the swing of it!

Keep posting pics of your progress!
Nic x

3:42 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

Has anyone ever told you that you have serious courage? I'm looking at that blanket and it's beautiful, but the intarsia makes me want to run away and hide under a rock. Can't wait to see your progress! It'll be lovely when it's done. Just remember to weave in the occasional end when the mood strikes you. That way, you won't have to do 100s of them all in one sitting.

I made an Edgar in the same colorway! I love it, and now it needs to be washed and re-blocked.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

I am MAD!! I know, it's scary. It's all knit in the round, on DPN's and then switching to an enormous fuck-off circ when it starts getting huge. I'll post progress pics... as soon as I work up the nerve to cast on!!

Oh, and Batty, I'll DEFINITELY be weaving in as I go!!

5:09 PM  
Blogger Yarnit said...

I hope you are feeling better! I love the pinwheel blanket. Someone in my knitting group made the Safari blanket, I'll see if I can find a picture.
Sheryl

11:00 PM  
Blogger brewerburns said...

The blankets look lovely. You've clearly been very busy!

2:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blimey - you are one brave lady! Looking forward to those progress pics...

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the safari blanket will be fab-u when you're done with it. Good luck!!!!

I love the entrelac btw. So pretty. :)

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! You are going to be crazy busy. It's going to be beautiful though!

4:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I luv your Silk-Garden-scraps-for-Lady-Eleanor idea! Wish I thought of it first! ;~)

~ hb33 ~

9:48 PM  
Blogger Miri Mack said...

Step away from that book!!!

Your entrelac blanket is to die for!

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home