Thursday, September 27, 2007

On the Edge

Lucy's mirror is completed, and I'm not totally happy with the results.

Here is a photo of it.




Can you see the issue? The problem is the abalone I used on the edges is a lot thinner than the stained glass, and was too thin to get the grout in between, it's nearly flush with the wood. So I can just touch-up the white paint in the spaces, re-grout and cover the abalone, or start fresh. Thoughts? How bad does it actually look?


Make sure you click the photo to see the detail of what I'm talking about, and tell me the truth!


Also, the Moose is done. In order to keep it for her for Christmas, I'm not going to grout it for a while. Otherwise, as soon as it's done, I won't be able to not give it to her!



In other, knitting news, I am working away trying to finish Ben's sleeves for the Big Digger Sweater. I am knitting both sleeves at the same time, and it is taking ages. I have about 130 stitches on the needles now, and am doing St. st, with increases every 4 rows, which is some kind of knitting boredom torture. I have realized I hate knitting sleeves. Really hate it. Don't mind them in the round, don't mind if there is cables, or some kind of stitch, but knit a row, purl a row just bores the hell out of me!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Beverly said...

I think you should leave the abalone as is and just touch up the paint. I really like the overall effect of the contrast between the undulating colors of the abalone and the "flatness" of the other pieces of glass. It gives the whole mirror a nice visual texture.

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it looks great! I don't see what the problem is with the abalone.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Bertha said...

I clicked to embiggen the pic, but I seriously can't see any problem with the abalone, I think it looks fantastic! I would just touch up the paint. I know it's going to stick out to you, but I can almost guarantee the recipients will never notice!

8:53 PM  
Blogger Josiane said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one unable to see the problem! I agree with Beverly about the contrast in texture: the visual effect is nice.
At least, the sleeves are for a four year old: you won't hate knitting them any less, but had they been adult-sized, you'd have hated knitting them for much longer!

10:52 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Thank you, everyone! I think it's like anything else, and I just notice the flaws more!

Yep, 4 year old sleeves are better than sleeves for my dad, that's for sure! ;)

11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fucking abalone. You know my brother in law told me once that there were 4 foot abalones off the Southern California shore. What you should do is find one of those mythical creatures, and use its shell for your gorgeous mirror.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

I can see the issue you're having, when I blow up the picture. I don't think that I would have thought twice about it had you not pointed it out. The thought of starting over on it depresses me, but I'm someone who is very loathe to frog any knitting, so my perspective is a bit skewed.

I really think it looks lovely!

1:42 PM  
Blogger TrixieG said...

Hi!

I think the mirror is beautiful and even when I look at the close up I can't see any issue. The Moose is awesome - can't wait to see that one all grouted and ready to go!

Bertha? Embiggen? Love it! Now it's stuck in my head and I can't remember what it's from. A tv show, right? Is it Homer? Thanks for the chuckle.

2:30 PM  
Blogger KelInCal said...

I don't think it looks bad at all - it's a great piece! I can see how it's bothering you, because it didn't come out like you had planned, but I still think it looks great.

The back and forth knitting on my blankets is starting to bug me, too - I would much rather have some patterning to keep it entertaining! But, I must admit, it's perfect TV knitting.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I think it looks fabulous. Wouldn't change a thing.

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home