Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Grouted

I spent a large part of last night watching House, and grouting some of the projects I've been working on.

Here is Hannah's Mirror.



Now I just need to paint the edges white, and it's done! This mirror is Clear and Rose Quarts, white and pink sea glass, iridized glass, wispy and opaque stained glass, and patterned and straight mirror.




I used an antique white grout on both this mirror and the one for my in-laws.


This mirror is natural sea glass, with stained glass and mirror.




And finally, here is the frog, grouted. Needs it's edges painted, like the others. I dyed the grout a light green for this one.




I have been really enjoying the process. Moose enjoyed it, but said "it's a hell of a lot harder than it looks!" Some people do pieces with straight cuts, which can be a cool look, and I tried that out once, on the edge of my birdbath.


But I find the randomization of the cut pieces a lot more challenging, and I like the look. Also, even more difficult is doing shapes, like the leaves in the above photo.

But on the whole, anyone can do this. It is an expensive hobby. The 10" mirrors above cost about $17 each, before shipping. They're MDF, which is what most Mosaic is done on. Then there's the glass. Some glass is more or less expensive than other types, and like everything, I like the expensive kind. Then, there's the time factor. You glue your pieces down, let dry over night, and then you grout. Once you've grouted, you take a very small screwdriver (flathead), and carefully go around each piece, scraping off any accumulated glue or grout which may still be covering your edges. I really am enjoying it. I am not so much enjoying pulling all the glass out of my feet. Have I mentioned I really need a craft room?!

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love all of your projects, but the fog is my favorite! He's awesome. I watched House as well, it's one of our favorite shows.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are absolutely stunning!!!

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those mirrors are GORGEOUS! What a nice gift - it's something that will transition nicely with her from baby right through adulthood.

Chalk up another one for House. It will be interesting to see how the season progresses...

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to tell you your mosaic pieces are amazingly beautiful. You've got the gift woman.

***

I almost signed myself fuckleknitter.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

Those are really beautiful. You do incredible work!

And the froggy is a total hoot! I love him!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Josiane said...

Wow, it was interesting to be able to compare the "before" and "after" pictures, with the last post and this one back to back. The grouting changes the look of these pieces quite a bit! Thanks for the insight into the process.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just amazed by this!

I thought House was heartbreaking last night! bwah!

9:57 PM  
Blogger Jennie said...

WOW, gorgeous work!

12:19 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Great work. I'll put in an order for a frog, too! It sounds like mosaic takes a lot of patience; I use all of my patience up on knitting!

8:39 AM  
Blogger KelInCal said...

Your mosaics are so beautiful! Love the birdbath! I keep resisting checking this out as a new hobby, but you're making it SO difficult!!

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home