Thursday, September 13, 2007

Stitches and Glass

Thanks for all the kind words about the sweater! It's about dry and I haven't yet measured it, because, frankly, I don't know I want to know! I'm going to have to pick up the pieces (in more ways than one), because it's all over the floor, and one sweater takes up about a quarter of my living space. (Seriously). My family are coming today to help me organize more stuff, so I have to get it off the floor, and we'll see.

The post did make me realize something, there are some crazy bitches who read this blog. I thought I was crazy! CUT THE SWEATER?!! What, in my months of posting mediocre knitting, made you think I would even begin to ATTEMPT such a thing?! Honestly, you're not helping my craziness here. Although I'm touched you think I could pull it off! :)

I ordered some stitch markers I'd been coveting on Etsy for a while, and I could not be happier with them! Here are some photos, the detailing is amazing.


Woodpecker



Bluejay

I once had a pet bluejay, and even though they're sort of the hooligans of the bird world, I have a tendre for them. Isn't his little face adorable?


Chikadee


Goldfinch
This was hard to capture, because of the vivid yellow, which doesn't really translate here. Goldfinches mean a lot to me, because when Adam died, I think he sent me messages with Goldfinches. More on that another time.


And finally, the Cardinal. I love Cardinals. When I crushed my ankle the spring before Ad was killed, I had to stay on the couch with my foot over my heart for almost 4 months. Adam came home the first week with a little birdfeeder that looked like our house. He hung it in the tree right outside the window, so I could watch the birds. And I fell in love with a Cardinal who came, and ate, and brought a lady friend, and I watched their babies grow up, too. They come every year, and every time I hear his bright "Chirp!" I think of Adam.




I am enormously pleased with these, they were made by seller "Wee Ones" and I'll definitely be back for more.

Finally, here is a sneak peak at another mosiac project I started over a month ago and am getting finished up.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for a while now and never commented, but the bird stitch markers drew me out.

When my husband first bought a bird feeder for our back deck, I thought he was nuts (I wasn't a big fan of the birds) but now that it's been there for a while, I get just as excited as he does when we get visitors. We have 3 different kind of woodpeckers, a variety of finches, jays, cardinals, chickadees, titmice and nuthatches. I'm also the one that bought the heated birdbath so they'd have fresh water in the winter.

Because the goldfinches have special meaning for you, I'd suggest getting a thistle feeder for them. We've definitely attracted more since we got one.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Josiane said...

Oh, those are cute!
The sneak peek at your mosaic project is quite intriguing. I can't wait to see more!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Tasty tasty markers! And yes, YOU CAN cut a sweater. Not that I would! I'm going to go breathe into a paper bag now.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Wow - those stitch markers are adorable - I can't believe the detail that went into them.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

I wish my mom was a knitter so that I could get her some of those stitch markers. Birds are her thing, and cardinals and chickadees always make me think of her. Maybe I'll get her some anyway. She can always hang them somewhere as decoration.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Jennifer, thank you. I do have a finch thistle feeder, which is now outside the window, and I've been fortunate to have lots of finches this year!

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought commenting on the birds would be a good place to start. You've posted some deeply personal things here, especially about your husband, and I didn't want to seem forward by commenting.

However, I really want to tell you I admire you perseverence and strength. I especially admire how you hold on to happy memories and gather little touchstones that keep him close. You could just as easily fall into bitterness and anger, and nobody would really blame you. That you don't speaks volumes about your character.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Wee Ones has such cute things - I included the site on my Christmas wish list. I love your little birdies.

And Annie, you must quit underestimating your knitting talent! We all know how competent you are!

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you are pleased with the stitch markers. I was very touched reading your post - I am glad that they are able to remind you of some fond memories.

Thanks for sending me the link to your blog - I just might become a regular reader : )

-Jillian (of WeeOnes)

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cute!

3:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home